Date:      Tue, 30 Jul 2002 03:02:38 +0900 (JST)
From:      Mitsuru IWASAKI <iwasaki@jp.FreeBSD.org>
To:        keichii@iteration.net
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IBM s31 ACPI not working

Hi,

> Iwasaki-san,
>
>   I have been running -current on my IBM s31. (The same as s30,
>       but with wChinese keyboard)

BTW, I don't have IBM s31 nor s30 :p

>   However, the cooling fan and lid switch does not function correctly.
>   The cooling fan never runs, and it makes the notebook really hot.
[snip]
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3442
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: 0
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3681
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3732
>   hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: 3332 3352 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

s31 has AC0 and AC1 level cooling.  Please try;
 # sysctl hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active=1
to activate AC1 level cooling by manual.

but automatically switching to AC1 is not functioning.
I think this is bug, I'll check later on.

>   When I close the lid, it suspends to s1 , but when I open the lid,
>   I have to push the power button to turn it on.

How new is your kernel?  I added wake function to lid and
power/sleep button 7/22.

>   Your s30 patch does not work anymore with not getting a ddb prompt
>   on kernel boot.  Therefore, I am running without your patch.

No, the most important patch in
http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/acpi/s30-acpifix.sh
is DSDT fix for s30 BIOS.  Without this, you'll see
ddb prompt on kernel boot.
This DSDT fix is not perfect, but better.
maybe vga_pci-20020228.tar.gz is too old?
# patches welcome :)

>   Most of the time, the ac line detection does not work.
>   And the cpu speed is not changed when I pull the power cable or plug it in.
>   The battery status is rarely a correct reading...
>
>   VERY occasionally, the ac detection and battery status works.

I noticed that after S3 sleep we can get correct battery status.
To get this all the time w/o S3, I think we neet hack s31 DSDT.

Thanks