Date:      Wed, 25 Sep 1996 17:00:36 +0000 ()
From:      David Nugent <davidn@sdev.blaze.net.au>
To:        Frode Nordahl <froden@bigblue.no>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.org" <questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Creating more /dev/ttyp's?

On Tue, 24 Sep 1996, Frode Nordahl wrote:

>I can't find any references to /dev/ttyp* in the MAKEDEV script,
>so I wonder what parameters I should use to make them with
>mknod.

I'm not sure of what naming conventions apply, since my
/dev/directory (which I did not originally create) doesn't seem
to agree with /etc/ttys. /etc/ttys seems to suggest that the
sequences starts at ttyp0 - ttypf (15 ptys), and then continues
ttyq0 - ttyqf, and so on. /dev/ttyp0 here starts at ttyp0 and
continues up to /dev/ttypv, for 32 ptys (which is how many I
happen to have enabled).

So, assuming that the prefix letter changes for each 32 ptys,
then the following script should do what you want (after all, it
isn't the names that are important, but the major,minor device
numbers - but it'd be nice to know what the correct "FreeBSD
convention" is). In the meantime, just make sure that this
corresponds to /dev/ttys.

#!/bin/sh
count=0
sub=0
pfx=p
sfx='0123456789abdcefghijklmnopqrstuv'
while [ $count -lt 64 ]
do
  if [ $count = 32 ]; then
    pfx=q
    sub=32
  fi
  sxx=`echo $sfx | cut -c $(($count - $sub + 1))`
  dev=/dev/tty${pfx}${sxx}
  cmd="mknod $dev c 5 $count"
  if [ ! -c $dev ]; then
    echo $cmd `$cmd`
  else
    echo $cmd "(exists)"
  fi
  count=$(($count + 1))
done

Hope this helps,
David

David Nugent, Unique Computing Pty Ltd - Melbourne, Australia
Voice +61-3-791-9547 Data/BBS +61-3-792-3507 3:632/348@fidonet
davidn@blaze.net.au http://www.blaze.net.au/~davidn