Date:      Mon, 7 Nov 2005 23:00:55 +0100
From:      Olivier Houchard <cognet@ci0.org>
To:        John E Hein <jhein@timing.com>
Cc:        arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot times

On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 12:50:57PM -0700, John E Hein wrote:
> What kind of boot times are people seeing in freebsd/arm?  I'm looking
> at using an Atmel AT91RM9200.

Hi,

It all depends at what you load at boot time :-)
on my xscale board, it takes me 1 minute to boot my arm board to the Login
prompt, but that includes loading the kernel in TFTP, mounting an NFS root, and
the normal FreeBSD boot sequence, launching sendmail, sshd, running ntpdate,
etc
I can make a kernel that once loaded, brings me to single user in 13 seconds,
and most of the time is spent mounting the NFS root, so it's really up to what
you plan your configuration to be.

Regards,

Olivier