Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:30:44 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Rob Ellis <rob@web.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vinum - steps to recreate mirror?

On Tuesday, 13 April 1999 at 16:49:26 -0400, Rob Ellis wrote:
> We've been experimenting with vinum, with the idea of setting
> up a two-disk mirror for a mail spool, and so far it's great.

Glad to hear it.

> But I haven't been able to sort out the steps for replacing a
> disk that's failed (e.g., when we pull the plug on it).
> Starting with a disk/plex that's "faulty", what is the correct
> procedure to replace it, get it back to being "up"?
>
> The current setup for the mirror is:
>
>   drive drive1 device /dev/da1s1e
>   drive drive2 device /dev/da2s1e
>   volume mirror
>     plex org concat
>       sd length 4345m drive drive1
>     plex org concat
>       sd length 4345m drive drive2

Well, it depends.  If your plex is faulty (say, mirror.p1), just say

  # vinum start mirror.p1

This will put the plex in the state 'reviving' and cause the data to
be copied to the plex, after which it will be up.

Replacing a drive is more complicated, mainly because I've never
really done that.  It works fine if your drive goes away and comes
back; then you just start the failed components.  The real issue is to
relabel the drive.  I'll look at that and get it fixed.  If you want
to help test, that would be of assistance.

Greg