Date:      Sat, 3 Jan 1998 23:24:12 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@nbc.netcom.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gack, again! 3DFX cards.

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Of the 3, the Canopus product seems the most advanced, with 4MB of
> texture memory vs the 2MB of the other cards (frame buffer is still
> 2MB).  It's also fairly cheap at $179 street price, and definitely
> seems to be the one to get if you can find one - Canopus claims
> back-orders all through January so far.

    I've got one here (picked one up in Toronto before the current
shortage), and it rocks.  It's definitely an advantage running glquake
during net play over those poor slobs still stuck with software
rendering.  ;-)  The Pure3D has built-in S-video and NTSC output,
which the Monster3D does not.

> Then there's the Voodoo2 chipset which 3DFX claims is 3X faster than
> the Voodoo Rush, but I don't see any mfrs actually doing boards
> based on them.  Any pointers?

    None are available yet... I'll probably wait until June next year
before upgrading.  It will probably take that long to shake out the
initial Voodoo2 offerings (the Pure3D came out when the Voodoo was 1.5
years old, but it was worth the wait).  id reports an incredible 62
fps with two pre-production Voodoo2 boards on a PII-300 at 1024x768,
running the Quake2 timedemo.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@netcom.ca)