Date:      Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:32:02 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com>
Cc:        "Karsten W. Rohrbach" <karsten@rohrbach.de>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: building apache from /usr/ports

Calvin NG <calvinng@brel.com> types:
>   Correct me if I m wrong.
>   For in-core web server , every copy of server loaded has the perl and/or php
>   in it.  For modules, its a shared library, the server is smaller size, and only
>   a copy of the module is loaded in memory.

That's all correct. However, it wouldn't surprise me if the server +
module is larger than the server with an in-core module. Since there's
no reason to have more than one copy of the server loaded - even for a
high-load server - there's still only one copy of the module
loaded. Since everything shared in the module should also be shared
with the in-core version, the total memory usage won't be very
different.

>   However, in-core is slightly faster then modules, IIRC.
>
>   I remember reading the performance pages of mod_perl, they recommend running
>   mod_perl in-core servers separately as a application server.
>
>   Thats my understanding of the difference between in-core and modules.

That indicates that there may be some large data structure that's
initialized per process. The only reason it should use a lot more
memory in-core than as a module is if this happens when the module is
loaded, and not when it is enabled.

	<mike