Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 05:20:02 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/29987: error in libc (simultanous call to malloc or free and printf causes Segmentation Fault)

The following reply was made to PR misc/29987; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@maths.tcd.ie>
To: Jakub Kruszona-Zawadzki <acid@gem.pl>
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:19:11 +0100

 On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 01:49:29PM +0200, Jakub Kruszona-Zawadzki wrote:
 > same bug exists on different freebsd versions. We tested FreeBSD 4.1
 > and FreeBSD 4.3. On both problem exists

 It is not legal to call printf or malloc from a signal handler.
 What you are alowd to do in a signal handler depends on if you are
 writing C according to ANSI, Posix, the Single Unix Specification
 or some other standard. The sigaction man page has a list of
 fucntions which you may call from a signal hangler - I think this
 list is roughly the list given in Posix.

 > (We tested it on Linux too - there is no such problem)

 It is more likely the problem was just not detected - FreeBSD's
 malloc actively tries to spot this problem.

 	David.