Date:      Wed, 30 May 2012 19:51:41 -0400
From:      Thomas Dickey <dickey@radix.net>
To:        Peter Vereshagin <peter@vereshagin.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: termcap/terminfo magicians anyone? // colors in vim

--OgqxwSJOaUobr8KG

On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 05:33:27PM +0400, Peter Vereshagin wrote:
> Hello.
>=20
> Being new from linux back in time I tried vim. It had pretty colors in li=
nux for me like that:
>=20
> http://www.postimg.com/71000/photo-70938.jpg
>=20
> But in freebsd I have what I have:
>=20
> http://www.postimg.com/71000/photo-70939.jpg
>=20
> It 'just works' for me if I 'vim -T linux' but:
>=20
>     - I'd like to know exact reason to be fixed other than just 'use linu=
x'
>     - It shows colors in ttyvX with TERM=3Dcons25 but it has random '25h'
>       showing up in places when I implement the actions from the begin of
>       vimtutor.

If you tell vim that it's "linux" when it is really cons25, that confuses i=
t.=20
A "linux" console recognizes an particular escape sequence ending with "25h"
for making the cursor visible (ending with "25l" for invisible).  vim likes=
use that.  cons25 doesn't support it.

As noted in vim's manpage, the -T option should be used only if the
automatic way (setting $TERM correctly) doesn't work.

--=20
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net
ftp://invisible-island.net