Date:      Sat, 30 Dec 1995 00:02:06 -0500
From:      Stephen Couchman <scouch@io.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, jmb@freebsd.org
Subject:   ijppp cannot talk to modem (/dev/cuaa1)

I am trying to get ijppp (user ppp) to work, but I am running into one
problem after another.

I have taken the advice given to me lately concerning my /etc/ppp/ppp.conf
file.  This seems to setup my modem, etc. properly since the 'show modem'
command within ijppp displays the expected results.

The problem, however, is that ijppp cannot seem to talk to my modem.

The modem is connected to /dev/cuaa1.  I can use 'tip' to connect to the
modem, and dial out.

When I try to use the 'term' command from within ijppp, I get no response
from the modem.  The RD/SD lights on my modem do not flash.  I get the same
response if I use the 'dial' command from within ijppp (after starting the
program with an ISP name found in my ppp.conf file.

BTW, when I use the 'term' or 'dial' command to access the modem using
/dev/cuaa1, a 'LCK..cuaa1' file is created in '/var/spool/lock'.

Any ideas??

Thanks -- Stephen
Stephen Couchman    | scouch@io.org