Date:      Sun, 3 Mar 2002 11:39:59 +1100
From:      "Scott Penno" <scott.penno@gennex.com.au>
To:        <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   4.X Installation on Dell Inspiron 2500

Hi there,

I'm writing out of exasperation more than anything else.  I've recently
retired my Toshiba Satellite for a Dell Inspiron 2500 and am attempting to
install FreeBSD 4.5.  Without success.

I attempt to run install, am able to configure devices for probing, however
after probing various USB devices, install locks up.  The devices probed
prior to locking up are as follows:
ata0
ata1
uhci0
usb0
uhub0
pci0
uhci1
usb1
uhub1
pci0
< ...locks up here... >

I have disable probing all devices except ata0, ata1, npx0, psm0, sc0 and
keyboard, have removed pc card devices, have disable parallel, serial and
speedstep in BIOS.  All to no avail.

I have also attempted to install from 4.3-RELEASE and 4.0-RELEASE all with
the same results.  I can however run install from a 2.2.2-RELEASE CD
sucessfully.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?
How can I determine what device is causing the problem?
Is there any way of disabling probing for this device?

Any assistance appreciated.

Regards,

Scott Penno