Date:      Wed, 24 May 2006 16:38:37 +0200
From:      des@des.no (Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?=)
To:        "Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.org, Alexander@Leidinger.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Subject:   Re: Call for testing: emu10kx driver for Creative sound cards

"Yuriy Tsibizov" <Yuriy.Tsibizov@gfk.ru> writes:
> Should sound drivers (pcm* device) be documented as an exception
> from this?  They use snd_sysctl_tree_top() to get tree OID under
> hw.snd.pcmX and snd_sysctl_tree() to get their context.

They should probably switch to device_get_sysctl_*(), with some compat
glue to ease the transition.

If you remember to always pass the device's sysctl context to
SYSCTL_ADD_*() when you create the nodes, they will be GCed when the
device detaches (even if they are outside the device's sysctl subtree)

We should probably have per-class contexts as well, so stuff like
hw.snd.unit can be placed directly under dev.pcm.

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav - des@des.no