Date:      Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:21:22 -0800
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        sparc64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: (was Re: HEADS UP!  MAJOR change to FreeBSD/sparc64) Boot failure on rebuild

On Monday 15 March 2004 07:51 am, Ken Smith wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 14, 2004 at 02:50:13PM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> > Ultra-5 with 333MHz cpu module, (currently not) booting on serial
> > console. I have a keyboard and mouse, but they are currently resting in
> > the closet nearby.  The kernel config is GENERIC with features I don't
> > have hacked out; nothing esoteric at all.  I do usually remove and
> > _ROOT options
>
> I was in the final phases of testing a new 64-bit time_t ISO and for the
> first time tried something other than an Ultra-60.  Guess what...
>
> So I think I have an arch that will reliably cause me the problem (I
> spent the rest of last night installing it off the last snapshot
> which was done a day or two before the new devfs stuff, I'm just
> getting it to the point I can start building test kernels).  I also spent
> some time finding the code I need to care about and sure enough, looks
> like the same problem as alpha.  cninit() is called before proc0 gets
> set up and mutex_init().
>
> I'll spend some time today coming up with my best guess at how to
> rearrange that chunk of machdep.c.
>
> > I'll snag the latest snapshot and try that.
>
> That should work but don't upgrade any farther past that until the
> console issue gets taken care of.

Hokay.  Let me know if you want to do some testing, I can move the
serial console cable for the Ultra to my net-accessible login box
and give you an account there.  I'll try to get a snapshot downloaded
today so I can burn and install from CD tonight.

Wes Peters                                              wes@softweyr.com