Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:47:46 +0300
From:      Edvard Fagerholm <desti@sigtrap.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Old PC + Big IDE HD = Booting?

Hi,
We have a old P133 sitting in our lab and I tried to install FreeBSD on
it. Its old HD was broken, so I had to fire it up with a 40GB Quantum
Fireball disk.

Now the only way to boot that computer was to disable that drive in the
BIOS, and then continue normally with the FreeBSD installation as it
doesn't care what the BIOS has to say about the drives connected to the
system.

Anyways installation was succesfull and I'm able to boot that drive from
a newer computer. I got that HD to the boot loader too from the old PC
by manually configuring it to look like a 8GB drive. However when I see
the boot prompt and try pressing F1 the computer beeps once and then
completely freezes.

Is there any way to get that thing up and running with a bigger disk
than 8GB? I tried booting it with grub too, but I'm not familiar with
it, anyways it crashed too after typing 'kernel /boot/loader' which is
why a think it's crashing in the loader not in grub or easyboot. So is
there any bootloader available that could scan the disks data for itself
and pass them to the loader?

Any suggestions on getting it to boot are welcome.

Thanks
Edvard