Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 1999 09:30:14 -0500
From:      Peter Schwenk <schwenk@math.udel.edu>
To:        Brian Anderson <bunicula@rcn.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nis?

Solaris and Linux use the /etc/nsswitch.conf file to determine the order in
which they use various local (/etc/passwd) and distributed databases (NIS).

Brian Anderson wrote:

> nevermind...
>
> i forgot to add the +::::::::  to the passwd file.
>
> odd that i didn't have to do that on the linux or solaris machines. i
> don't know nis well, so it's no surprise that i don't follow the different
> os implementations well.
>
> does freebsd even use the nsswitch.conf file?
>
> brian
>
> On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Brian Anderson wrote:
>

> > newbie freebsd question...
> >
> > i've got an nis domain set up here, to allow (in theory) the irix,
> > solaris, linux and free bsd machines to all work happily together.
> >
> > i've got ypbind running at boot ok... i can ypcat passwd and get the list,
> > but the nis users aren't showing up. (unknown login xxxxx)
> >
> > i created an /etc/nsswitch.conf, with
> > passwd: files nis
> >
> > which is the setup that works in solaris and linux...
> >

> > so what stupid thing am i missing?
> >

> > brian

> --

>       AAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEE! Evil... Bright... Yellow... Thing...!!
>      That must be the Daystar. I've heard talk about it.
>                   User Friendly, 12/8/1999

PETER SCHWENK                                    |  UNIX System Administrator
Department of Mathematical Sciences              |  University of Delaware
schwenk@math.udel.edu                            |  (302)831-0437 <-NEW!!!