Date:      Thu, 1 Jun 95 12:40:29 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        jkh@freefall.cdrom.com, julian@ref.tfs.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [On the new Install]

> Ah-ha!
>
> It's motif semantics. "Go to next entry" is "Tab" and return is "OK".
>
> One of the many ways Motif sucks. You either have to live with it and tell
> people not to hit RETURN until the screen is complete, or make RETURN act
> like TAB and use some other key for RETURN.

You are supposed to use 'tab' and hit 'space' when the tab group that
contains only that button is selected.

To avoid the 'return' behaviour, you have to not set a default button
(and this has to be done explicitly, since the first button in the
button list is default).

The 'return' behaviour is also widget-dependent; for instance, if you
have a multi-line text input widget, it will go to the next line in the
widget instead.  So just changing it to a tab is bogus.

Alternately, you could expect users to understand Motif/MS Windows
semantics by virtue of previous exposure.  8-).

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.