Date:      Tue, 23 Oct 2001 13:31:59 -0500
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: performance issues with M_PREPEND on clusters

* Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org> [011023 13:28] wrote:
> * Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org> [011023 13:06] wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> > don't know what is the right forum to discuss this, but this is
> > certainly one. I have also Bcc-ed some people who might need to be
> > involved.
> >
> > In the mbuf code, M_LEADINGSPACE always returns 0 when M_EXT is
> > set, instead of calling the second part of M_WRITABLE to check
> > whether there is a chance of writing into the cluster. This means
> > that both M_PREPEND() and m_pullup() will have to allocate a second
> > mbuf when they are invoked on a cluster, which these days is
> > basically true for most of the incoming traffic (several network
> > drivers pass up the full packet in a cluster).
>
> I've seen this brought up before, this is not what you want to
> do otherwise you risk corrupting EXT data.  The right thing to
> do is have the people allocating writable EXT bufs mark them
> as such.  Other EXT type buffers such as sendfile bufs can not
> be written to no matter what the sharecount is.
>
> I hope this helps.

Oh yeah, using this method you could "fix" MCLGET in -stable to
from this:

#define MCLGET(m, how) do {                                             \
        struct mbuf *_mm = (m);                                         \
                                                                        \
        MCLALLOC(_mm->m_ext.ext_buf, (how));                            \
        if (_mm->m_ext.ext_buf != NULL) {                               \
                _mm->m_data = _mm->m_ext.ext_buf;                       \
                _mm->m_flags |= M_EXT;                                  \
                _mm->m_ext.ext_free = NULL;                             \
                _mm->m_ext.ext_ref = NULL;                              \
                _mm->m_ext.ext_size = MCLBYTES;                         \
        }                                                               \
} while (0)

to:

#define MCLGET(m, how) do {                                             \
        struct mbuf *_mm = (m);                                         \
                                                                        \
        MCLALLOC(_mm->m_ext.ext_buf, (how));                            \
        if (_mm->m_ext.ext_buf != NULL) {                               \
                _mm->m_data = _mm->m_ext.ext_buf;                       \
                _mm->m_flags |= M_EXT | M_EXTWRITEABLE;                 \
                _mm->m_ext.ext_free = NULL;                             \
                _mm->m_ext.ext_ref = NULL;                              \
                _mm->m_ext.ext_size = MCLBYTES;                         \
} while (0)

--
-Alfred Perlstein [alfred@freebsd.org]
                           http://www.morons.org/rants/gpl-harmful.php3