Date:      Thu, 04 Apr 2002 11:34:31 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Mouse problems

I recently purchased a cheap PC Concepts optical mouse for my FreeBSD
desktop system. It seems to work fine with Windows. I just plugged it
in and it worked. But no such luck for FreeBSD.

On FreeBSD, motion up or to the right is fine with the cursor tracking
mouse movement in any combination of these directions. Any movement
down causes the cursor to jump to the bottom of the screen and any
movement to the left causes the cursor to jump to the left edge of the
screen.

I have also tried the mouse on my ThinkPad with identical results.

These symptoms apply to most device selections, but "Auto" is even
worse, with erratic motion and garbage characters appearing in the
syscons.

I asked about this on questions and only received responses from other
who had seen the same problems.

Is this a known problem and is there any fix/work-around? I feel a
kernel debug session coming and I'd love to avoid it.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)