Date:      Tue, 30 Mar 1999 01:09:32 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt of the Long Red Hair <mattp@conundrum.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: newfs of ccd0 crashes

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > /* $Id: ccd.c,v 1.37.2.1 1999/02/18 22:06:00 ken Exp $ */
>
> You said your system was from the end of January.  OK, try this:

No, I said it was -stable as of February 28th.  Feel free to check.
In any case, the diff still fails for some reason.. but I did manage to get
myself a copy of ccd.c v1.37.2.2

Thanks very much for your help on this.

> > This might be worth looking at.   I hear it's a lot like Veritas, but my
> > experiences with Veritas (on Sun storage arrays, and mostly second-hand) are
> > less than positive.
>
> That's not quite typical.  Veritas is (or was) a pig to administer,
> but I've always found it pretty reliable.

I didn't mean to imply that it was unreliable.. but just what you pointed
out, that it's a pain in the ass.  It always seemed to me to be far more
complicated than was required.  In any case, if Vinum improves on that, it
would be worth checking out.

> No, but also not less reliable :-) I've gone to a lot of trouble to
> make it easy to administer, but not everybody agrees that I've
> succeeded.  It's certainly a lot easier than ccd.

I find that hard to believe.  Aside from newfs crashing on me, I found ccd to
be easier to get going than ..  well.. just about anything else I've ever set
up for the first time.  At least, it was quite straight forward to get a
simple concatenation of drives going.

Thanks again!