Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2012 09:51:55 -0500
From:      Bryan Drewery <bryan@shatow.net>
To:        Jamie Paul Griffin <jamie@kode5.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng questions

On 8/30/2012 8:43 AM, Jamie Paul Griffin wrote:
> [ Mark Felder wrote on Thu 30.Aug'12 at  7:01:43 -0500 ]
>
>> I think you're very confused about what pkgng is for. At this time, ports
>> are STILL the recommended way to install things and keep them up to date.
>> Pkgng is the first step required for us to get a better package management
>> system so we can shift the community towards primarily using packages.
>
> Can i ask, why is it that shifting the community to using packages is deemed to be a better approach? I like being able to select configuration options to build software. I have never installed a pre-compiled package since using FreeBSD version 6.x. I recall someone responding in another thread about how people don't like change but surely being able to choose is what end-users want. I am sure this has been discussed at length in other threads and sorry if i'm asking old questions.
>
> Jamie

Supporting binary package upgrades makes it easier all around for most
users. It also simplifies enterprise environments. Users can of course
build their own packages with custom options and distribute those instead.

Make no mistake though, ports are not going anywhere. You don't have to
use binary packages if you don't want to. You can still checkout ports
and compile and use portmaster/portupgrade.

Bryan