Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 2000 02:08:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mike Nowlin <mike@argos.org>
To:        Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: recent imports

> IMHO it is very strange idea to put archivers capable to handle archives used
> on other OSes into emulators category. Under this assumption we probably should
> move stuff like Gnumeric, KOffice. AbiWord, StarOffice etc. into emulators as
> well just because those programs allow using data created on other platforms
> (most notably Win32/MSOffice).

Or you can look at this way: these (archiver) programs don't EMULATE
diddly-squat.  They are stand-alone programs that have their own opinions
as to how things should be done, their own flags, etc.

This kind of thing requires a bit of "looking forward into the political
aspects" of this decision.  Do we want FreeBSD to be known as a system
that emulates DOS (where "emulation" usually has a negative feeling about
it - I have yet to find an emulator that can't be distinguished from the
original), or as a system that handles Macintosh files just as easily as a
Mac does?

--mike

Understated/funny man-page sentence of the current time period:

From route(4) on FreeBSD-3.4, DESCRIPTION section:
    "FreeBSD provides some packet routing facilities."

Mike Nowlin, N8NVW         mike@argos.org         http://www.viewsnet.com