Date:      Tue, 28 Dec 1999 21:47:52 +0000
From:      Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
To:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Sean Jensen-Grey <seanj@speakeasy.org>, Jay Krell <jay.krell@cornell.edu>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvsuping and rebuilding, esp. ports

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Sean Jensen-Grey wrote:
>
>> I don't rebuild ports after cvsuping? why? I thought of making a small python
>> script to go check /var/db/pkgs or some such and compare the version numbers
>> there against what you have in ports for the same package. would be handy.
>
> There is actually a patch to pkg_version which scans all versions
> installed and the most recent versions in /ports and builds a script you
> cam modify and run to fetch and install any upgrades you would like.  Just
> remember to read it first, hand-edit, and pkg_delete the ones you want to
> replace first.  I can't remember where it is off hand.

I think that option is in pkg_version by default now (e.g. recent
-stable and -current presumably):

root@magnesium:/usr/local/etc/cvsup/sup/src-all# pkg_version -c | head
#
#  bash
#  multiple versions (index has 1.14.7,2.03)
#
cd /usr/ports/shells/bash2
make
pkg_delete -f bash-2.03
make install

#
..

or were you talking about something else?

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben@scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and