Date:      Sun, 17 Jan 1999 16:41:33 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        dh@enter.net
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: screen blanking thru xdm

Daniel Hauer wrote:

> Hi,
>   Quick question.... I run X under 2.2.8-STABLE (3.3.3) and log-in from an xdm
> login screen. If I leave the log-in screen sit, OR am logged in and walk away,
> the screen blanks after about 10 minutes. I hate that! I cannot find for the
> life of me where that setting is. Can any one give me a clue?

There's console blanking and Xwindows blanking . I don't know which
affects the xdm login screen but this is how you disable both:

console: in /etc/rc.conf look for the 2 lines:

blanktime="300"         # blank time (in seconds) or "NO" to turn it
off.
saver="daemon"          # screen saver desired:
blank/green/snake/star/NO.

change the blanktime line to:

blanktime="NO"         # blank time (in seconds) or "NO" to turn it off.

I X it's controlled by ``xset''. Use ``xset s off'' to disable it. I'm
not sure where you would put that for xdm login, normally it would be in
~/.xinitrc but I don't know if that has been run yet (is there an
~/.xdmrc?).

HTH

> system info:
> pentium 166 90MB ram
> 2.2.8-STABLE
> Xfree 3.3.3
> xdm login
> windowmaker 0.23
> ATI mach64 graphics card
>
> Regards,
> Daniel Hauer.
> http://www.enter.net  "The Road To The Internet Starts There!"

  Trust the computer industry to shorten Year 2000 to Y2K. It
  was this thinking that caused the problem in the first place.