Date:      Wed, 9 Apr 2008 03:06:55 -0400
From:      "Anthony Bryan" <anthonybryan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org, dimitar.vassilev@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: package distribution crisis - CDN needed

I hope you will investigate the MirrorBrain mentioned earlier and in
the presentation at http://www.poeml.de/~poeml/talks/redirector/ to
see if it meets your needs.
obviously, it works well for openSUSE but will function just as well
for other projects in similar circumstances. the author will be
receptive to FreeBSD (& other organization's) needs as he is actively
improving it for everyone, not just openSUSE.

http://www.mirrorbrain.org/

replies to other messages follow:

Francois Petillon wrote:
> Dimitar Vasilev wrote:
> > Once upon a time a guy suggested that all FreeBSD mirrors join
> > http://www.metalinker.org/, but someone from the French mirrors rejecte=
d the
> > idea.
>
> The frenchy did not reject the idea, the frenchy just told segmented
> downloads is fucking up IOs on big servers. And metalinker is mainly
> aimed at multisources segmented downloads.

ahh, Fran=E7ois, my dear colleague, you wound me!

Metalink is mainly aimed at providing mirror lists and checksums for
automated integrity verification and error repair. If you want to
completely disable segmented downloads in metalinks, there is that
option in the .metalink.

a 2006 reply https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-mirrors/2007-February=
/000042.html

Thanks for bringing this up! These are all excellent reasons for using
metalink - by putting your preferences into a machine readable format
that courteous users can take advantage of. (Along with configuring a
server correctly and to your liking).

Metalink isn't focused on segmented downloading, although many of the
clients do support that, some of them don't. The increased
availability from multiple links, integrity/reliability from
checksums, being able to add multiple files to a transfer queue and
other automated features are also found useful by others.

Ubuntu, OpenOffice.org, or other organizations can choose to limit (in
the metalink, according to the spec) the number of connections used
for downloading a file, or for specific servers. That is, you can say
in the metalink that you don't want programs doing segmented
downloading, or restrict them to a certain number of connections to a
server. Of course, servers still need to be correctly configured
because, as you say, other programs will not respect your wishes and
use up resources.

Dimitar Vassilev, I'm sorry I didn't reply to your message from Nov
2006 ( http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-hubs/2006-November/00=
1544.html
), I didn't see it until now or I would have replied.

I believe some of the server side metalink generators do what you are
asking about.

--=20
(( Anthony Bryan ... Metalink [ http://www.metalinker.org ]
 )) Easier, More Reliable, Self Healing Downloads