Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 1995 12:25:28 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP state their FreeBSD concerns

On Sat, 11 Nov 1995 owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org wrote:

> I have been having a lot of contact with various local ISPs (we seem
> to have an excessive number of these guys in this area).   All of them
> are aware of FreeBSD, but almost universally there is a frame of mind
> that says FreeBSD should be avoided.

[disclaimers:   i dont run an isp.  i dont have a LARGE news system.  i dont
		have lots of dialin users. ]

	these points|perceptions are important.  XXX has evidently talked
with a number of isp's and expended some effort to identify the
characteristics of FreeBSD that isp's free are most lacking.  let's call
it a call-for-dialog.   freebsd-isp@freebsd.org can provide the forum.

	from the initial post and the responses, i gather

0.	more dialog between isp's and the freebsd development team.

1.	there is a desperate need for additional documentation of the
	tutorial + example form

2.	we need suggested configurations for specific tasks: news spool,
	dial-in box, web server....

3.	problem reports need to provide information on how to reproduce
	the problem.  system configuration.  system activity.  log file
	output.

4.	isp's need to be willing to test bug fixes

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346