Date:      Thu, 15 Aug 1996 21:44:38 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        count@key.hole.fi (Bror 'Count' Heinola)
Subject:   Re: Pioneer CD changer problem

As Bror 'Count' Heinola wrote:

> (ahc0:6:0): "PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-600 0801" type 5 removable SCSI 1
> cd0(ahc0:6:0): CD-ROM
> cd0(ahc0:6:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> can't get the size

> (ahc0:6:7): "PIONEER CD-ROM DRM-600 0801" type 5 removable SCSI 1
> cd7(ahc0:6:7): CD-ROM
> cd7(ahc0:6:7): NOT READY asc:3a,0 Medium not present
> can't get the size

> 	(Shouldn't it report only cd0 to cd5? It is a 6 cd changer
> 	afterall...)

I believe this means it has a broken LUN handling.  Weird for a
changer device which is supposed to operate using different LUNs.

> root@key /root 507: mount /dev/cd0a /mnt
> /dev/cd0a on /mnt: Device not configured
>
> 	(Yes, I did make all the cd entries in /dev)

Can you here it swapping the disk in by the same time?  Does it
continue to fail even after a few attempts?

The timeouts in the existing driver are way too short to properly
handle CD changers.  I've got a Nakamichi on loan to test and fix
this, but defered all my CD-ROM work until Justin's changes are in the
tree to avoid massively diverging drivers.  The current way of timeout
handling sucks rocks, all timeouts are wild guesses, and there's no
way to centrally maintain them.  Each and every call to
scsi_scsi_cmd() specifies its own idea of what timeout might be
appropriate.

--
cheers, J"org