Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 11:19:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Scott Rothgaber <scott@easley.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a Router

On Mon, 8 Feb 1999, Scott Rothgaber wrote:
> I'm a BSDI shop, but a WAN card vendor has *strongly* suggested
> FreeBSD for my "Super Router" project, as I like to call it. It will
> be a rack-mounted PC with 12 PCI slots and will be set up something
> like this:
>
> NODE 1 -> WAN A (AT&T PTP T1 for bandwidth)
>
> NODE 2 -> WAN B (T1 to Bell South's FR cloud, used to sell above
>                  bandwidth to other FR customers)
>
> NODE 3 -> LAN A (my accesss servers)
>
> NODE 4 -> LAN B (my UNIX boxes)
>
> NODE 5 -> LAN C (hosted UNIX boxes)

Based on this diagram a default route pointing to WAN A, a handful
of static routes pointing to WAN B and your FR customers and the
automatic routes setup when you ifconfig your nics should take
care of everything.  No BGP required.

> Finally, my question: Where can I find some in-depth documentation on
> using FreeBSD for such a project (aside from `man gated'). Please
> make suggestions that can be found on the Web, as I'm not running
> FreeBSD yet.

man route :)  There shouldn't be any differences between how it's
done on BSDI and FBSD.  Your wan supplier probably has some utilities
for managing the wan cards that you'll have to get from them.

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com