Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 11:29:04 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Jason Thomson <jason.thomson@mintel.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG, mjabali@mintel.com
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 7890 & new IBM DRHS-36D doesn't probe.

On Fri, Sep 29, 2000 at 18:17:52 +0100, Jason Thomson wrote:
> We're using a Dell Poweredge 4300 with FreeBSD 3.1,  and we've just
> added a 36GB IBM disk.
>
> Not strictly a FreeBSD question,  perhaps,  but this disk doesn't probe
> right.  When the da driver tries to attach,  we get the following error:
>
> (da3:ahc0:0:3:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (da3:ahc0:0:3:0): NOT READY asc:4,2
> (da3:ahc0:0:3:0): Logical unit not ready, initializing cmd. required
> (da3:ahc0:0:3:0): fatal error, failed to attach to device
> (da3:ahc0:0:3:0): lost device
> (da3:ahc0:0:3:0): removing device entry

The disk isn't spinning up.  When the error recovery code sees that
particular error, it tries to spin up the disk.  That probably isn't
happening in this case.

One way to test this out is:

camcontrol tur -n pass -u 3 -v
(you should get the same error as above)

camcontrol start -n pass -u 3 -v
(the disk should spin up, and shouldn't return an error if things are
working properly)

camcontrol tur -n pass -u 3 -v
(If camcontrol start didn't return an error, this likely won't either.  If
camcontrol start returned an error, this will probably return the same
error as the first tur attempt above.)

[ ... ]

> I'm not sure what's happening,  the following is the output from
> camcontrol.
>
> camcontrol devlist -v
> scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
> <  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
> scbus0 on ahc0 bus 0:
> <QUANTUM QM318000TD-SCA N1K0>      at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
> <WDIGTL WDE18300 ULTRA2 1.20>      at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
> <IBM DRHS36D 0110>                 at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
> <IBM DRHS 0110>                    at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass3)
> <DELL 1x6 U2W SCSI BP 5.13>        at scbus0 target 6 lun 0 (pass4)
> <  >                               at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()
> scbus1 on ahc1 bus 0:
> <NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:465 1.03>        at scbus1 target 5 lun 0 (pass5,cd0)
> <  >                               at scbus1 target -1 lun -1 ()
>

> We've been on to Dell technical support,  and the answer we got was a
> vague "reset the SCSI-BIOS to factory defaults - it's probably set up to
> probe the disk as a tape drive".  I'm no SCSI expert,  but that sounded
> weak to me.  (We tried it anyway,  and it didn't work :-).
>
> The BIOS probe identifies the disk as IBM DRSH.  (The other disk in the
> machine identified as IBM DRHS36D).  They are *supposed* to be the same
> model - that's what it says on the disks.

Some disks read firmware revisions or model numbers off the disk, I think.
That's probably what is going on here -- you aren't getting the full
inquiry information because the disk isn't spun up.

> I don't think it's just a bum disk,  because we accidentally ordered two
> new disks (in addition to the one already in the machine)  of the same
> type - tried them both - same result.  We've also tried other slots in
> the backplane (different IDs).  The jumpers are set on the disk for
> "Auto-Start" and "Disable Target Initiated Sync Negitiation".

Well, if it isn't starting, and you've got auto-start enabled, and the
error recovery code can't start it, I would suspect bad 12V power.

You've evidently got 5V power, since the disk can respond to basic
commands, but it may be that you don't have 12V, since it can't spin up.

> Please CC me on any replies,  and also my colleague (mjabali@mintel.com)
> - it's Friday and I'm off down the pub - but he's in the States and has
> another few hours on this yet :-).  I'll be back in tomorrow :-(.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org