Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 19:57:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Rich Winkel <rich@pencil.math.missouri.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Netatalk weirdness

I'm at my wits end here.

I have version netatalk-1.4b2+asun-2.1.3 on stable-3.4 with "suiddir" option.
I have two userids: mac and gumby.
"mac" is supposed to be the macintosh admin ID.  Its home dir is
the top level dir (and ufs mount point) /mac, (mode 4755) which it owns.
gumby owns /mac/gumby, its home dir (mode 4755).
Both have identical ".passwd" files in their respective home dirs,
each owns his .passwd file, the passwd files are mode 600.
The system master.passwd has the passwords of both ids "*"'d out.

I can login to mac, but gumby gives "incorrect password".  Doing
an "ls -lu" on each user's .passwd file, I see mac's .passwd has
been read, but not gumby's.  Yet when I rename gumby's .passwd file
to something else and try again, afpd complains:  "Failed to open
/mac/gumby/.passwd" (this is the correct path).

Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thanks for any help!

Rich