Date:      Thu, 19 Apr 2001 22:56:24 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        <freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org>
Subject:   can telco combine exchange and access point?

Just wondering...

When I'm doing a data call on isdn, I'm sending a stream of bits through
my ISDN2 to the exchange, which routes it through to my ISP on an ISDN30,
where it reaches the access device (Livingston portmaster), which converts
the bitstream to ip traffic. It then goes through another router and a
"modem" through an E1, which really also is an ISDN30 to the upstream
provider to the internet.

Couldn't a modern ISDN-exchange by itself convert my isdn2 datastream to
ip traffic and connect to the internet backbone right there?

Perhaps it is not done so anywhere, but shouldn't it be possible?

Leif