Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 2003 16:08:09 +0100
From:      "Devon H. O'Dell" <dodell@sitetronics.com>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Friendly and Secure Desktop Operating System

Daniela wrote:

>Found this link today, I thought it might be an interesting thing to discuss:
>http://irccrew.org/~cras/security/friendly-secure-os.html
>
>Daniela

While there are some good ideas presented in this, I don't think that
the author has the faintest idea of what an operating system entails. It
seems that the author is confusing application security with operating
system security. Who's to say that some kernel module isn't going to pop
up and say "I don't access any files" and then wipe the hard drive? How
does the operating system know that the application is a game and not an
email client? It seems more of an application design standard -- and one
that will never work. For instance, many games need to be able to save
files, access the net and do low-level graphics stuff that generally
requires more privileges than, say a word processor. There are operating
systems that do implement this in some regard, but they're by no means
in any usable form. From a developer's standpoint this sounds more like
a plea to application developers to "please write secure software".

Another problem is that with the 'stupid user' model that's mentioned in
the article, the OS has to handle things that should be decided by the
user. You get into the question of where to stop trying to save the user
from him/herself and where to let the user make decisions. Again, this
is a problem that *application* developers need to address, not
operating system developers.

Finally, a lot of the stuff that's mentioned about services that the OS
should provide is actually more Operating Environment specific. An OS
need only provide stuff for memory management, CPU control, device
detection and usage, APIs for userland applications to interface with
these devices,  privileges and privilege-based systems to help determine
who may actually access the devices, etc. Some of these "services" sound
like they belong in the OE.

For instance, the argument about making each webpage load in a separate
process has several flaws. When we're writing to the video card
(assuming doing direct output to 0xb8000 in text mode -- just to keep it
simple) how do you define where something can be drawn? The operating
system provides a couple of interfaces to the video card in text mode
and they all amount to sending bits to 0xb8000 - 0xb8fa0 (forgive me if
the range is incorrect). How would you say "okay, this webpage only gets
the 4th line of the screen (0xb81e0 - 0xb8280)"? This is stuff that the
operating system itself does not and should not handle. And without the
OS letting the application actually output raw bytes to this area and
letting the application determine what can draw where, there's no way to
tell this. Additionally, how do you define the policies of who will be
able to write in what space?

While the article tries to go into the right direction, it's missing a
lot of points and using enough words in the wrong place that I think the
author needs to do a bit more research. I'd be interested in seeing this
article come further, but it needs to really answer some of these questions.

--Devon

P.S. Feel free to correct my ranges for outputting to the vga video
buffer if I'm wrong; it's been a good year or two since I've done this
stuff. I'm assuming 0xb8000 as starting (which I know is correct), plus
80 * 25 * 2.