Date:      Sun, 15 May 2022 23:08:31 -0700
From:      "Pat Maddox" <pat@patmaddox.com>
To:        Chris <portmaster@bsdforge.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to override port Makefile to point to local directory?

On 15 May 2022, at 22:28, Pat Maddox wrote:

> On 15 May 2022, at 20:49, Chris wrote:
>
>> On 2022-05-15 20:29, Pat Maddox wrote:
>>> I am writing software that I would eventually like to install on =

>>> FreeBSD. I'm
>>> currently stuck trying to write a Makefile that will point to my =

>>> local git dir, so
>>> I can build and install it while I'm developing. All of the finished =

>>> Makefiles
>>> reference tar packages, which makes sense. But when I'm actively =

>>> developing, I
>>> don't want to commit the code, push it, have it built, update the =

>>> makefile with
>>> the commit, and make.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know of a way to override options to a port's Makefile =

>>> to point to a
>>> local directory on disk? I want to run "sudo make install" and "make =

>>> package" from
>>> my development directory, using the same Makefile that would be in =

>>> the ports tree.
>> You can perform make out of tree build/installs w/o issue. The ports =

>> infrastructure
>> will post a couple of warnings. But nothing to stop you from =

>> development. I do it out
>> of ~/DEV/<category>/port-im-developing all the time.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Chris
>>>
>>> Pat
>
> Cool, how do I do that?
>
> Here=E2=80=99s the Makefile in my project directory: =

> https://gist.github.com/patmaddox/d5d8a0e0df656072749bf18f7f634ae9
>
> When I run `make install`, it downloads the zip from GitHub. That =

> makes sense, because that=E2=80=99s what it=E2=80=99s configured to do,=
 and I =

 =

> already have the source locally.
>
> Pat

Well I wrote a script that generates the folder structure and zip that =

make expects, and moves it into place: =

https://gist.github.com/patmaddox/d5d8a0e0df656072749bf18f7f634ae9#file-b=
uild-sh

I figure there=E2=80=99s gotta be some sort of `make SRCDIR=3D. install` =
to =

bypass fetch & extract, but this will do for now.

Pat