Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:28:52 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@santropez.acs.rpi.edu>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Cc:        kde@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports/32321: x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems

>Number:         32321
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       x11/kdelibs2 installs print/cups, which then causes problems
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD santropez.acs.rpi.edu 4.4-STABLE FreeBSD 4.4-STABLE #0: Tue Nov 20 21:59:46 EST 2001 root@santropez.acs.rpi.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/Dual-650P3 i386

	The makefile for x11/kdelibs2 has a dependency on
	cups.2:${PORTSDIR}/print/cups
	This (apparently) causes CUPS to be installed when the user goes
	to install KDE.

	If the user is not actually using CUPS, this causes some confusion
	between /usr/local/bin/lpr (the cups version) and /usr/bin/lpr (the
	version everyone on the machine should really be using).  What may
	then happen is that the administrator of the machine starts pulling
	their hair out becomes some users on the machine can print, and
	other ones can not (the difference being whether the user has
	/usr/local/bin in their PATH).  Questions ensue, which generally
	come my way (gad@FreeBSD.org), and eventually we realize what the
	problem is.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Install the port, I guess.

>Fix:

	I am not sure what the best fix is.  I have not looked at the port,
	but I am writing this right now because today I got two different
	administrators who ran into this problem, and of course came to me
	because "lpr isn't working".  In some sense it's better for me when
	they come in groups like this, because I'm more likely to remember
	to ask them about /usr/local/bin/lpr vs /usr/bin/lpr.  On the other
	hand, it would probably be better if we could just fix this.

	I assume that KDE needs some library that CUPS creates.  Could we
	break that library out into a separate port, so the library could
	be installed without disrupting print-commands?  Is there some
	change I could make to freebsd's lpr/lpd which would make it easier
	to fix this KDE port?  I am willing to do that (particularly if it
	means less email from frustrated administrators), but I am not sure
	if that is the best fix either.  (I do not know if that would help
	people who use lprNG instead of the bsd lpr, for instance).