Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 2008 13:30:23 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
Subject:   Re: configuring gnome with hal

--==_Exmh_1214339423_78337P

> Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:57:08 -0400
> From: Chuck Robey <chuckr@telenix.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
>
> To begin, I run FreeBSD-current.
>
> I *think* that the hal, dbus, and policykit ports are the province of
> this list, am I right?  I got referred here, for my problem, which is
> that I can't find any concrete example of how to configure this.  I
> have read the tutorial on Hal and dbus, but I can find nothing at all
> to read on PolicyKit, excepting some things that are very very high
> level, with no conctrete examples of how to actually use it.
>
> What I'm looking for is any app whatasover that uses policykit, then
> any example at all which shows how to make that app work with hal,
> dbus, and policykit.
>
> Beyond that, I know that hal is supposed to ease things like
> automounting of CDs and DVDs, so i put in a DVD, and nothing happened,
> excepting I got this error message:
>
> Cannot mount volume
> Error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied.
> Details:
> A security policy in place prevents this sender from
> sending this message to this recipient, see message
> bus configuration file (rejected message had interface
> "org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member "Mount"
> error name "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.Hal")
>
> I don't even know for sure what file is supposed to be the configuration file.
> Does anyone know any details about using these things on FreeBSD?

Please limit lines to about 72 characters. I get tired of re-formatting
mail composed on broken MUAs Almost all recent ones are broken in that
they don't really send plain-text, but assume that the reader's MUA will
deal with it. Mine does, but, when I reply, Emacs assumes that 'text-plain'
really means 'text-plain'.

First order answer is to look at the halfaq at:
http://www.freebsd.org//gnome/docs/halfaq.html

It has information on what files to edit and how to edit them that will
most likely resolve your problem.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)