Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 12:00:05 -0700
From:      "Shannon Johnson" <shannon@designcurve.net>
To:        <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Alexey Zakirov" <frank@agava.com>
Subject:   Re: jail & security

> On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Alexey Zakirov wrote:
>
> > > yourself from destroying a system (e.g. read only file system, setting
the
> > > system immutable flag, etc.)
> > >
> > > Remind me to never give you a shell account.
> >
> > Alexey is wrong in stating 'You CAN'T limit whole jail limits.' you
> > actually can given the right patches to the jail subsystem. :)
>
> Am I wrong? Can you setup jail that limits his CPU/MEM for particular
> jail?

Yes, infact you are incorrect. I have set up literally dozens of jails both
at home and work. Through this I have experimented with allot of
configurations, including login classes.

One way that I tested this out was to write a simple c program to test that
the cpu/memory limits were being properly limited by login.conf. Here tis...

int main(void) {
  while(1) malloc(100);
}

This is obviously required allot of  memory/CPU. But it proved my point.

By the way, where are the patches that you referred to earlier.

---
Shannon