Date:      Sat, 9 May 2015 19:43:43 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-arm@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Heads-up regarding arm/armv6 snapshot builds

--wwcyFFjH1rb3ppO2

[re@ in BCC.]

On Wed, May 06, 2015 at 01:56:13AM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:
> [...]
>=20
> I, with my RE hat on, have decided to focus the majority of my time over
> the next few days on the ^/projects/release-arm-redux branch, [...]
>=20

First, thank you all that replied privately for your support regarding
the topic of my original email.

I would also like to thank everyone that has helped boot-test images
being produced while integrating arm/armv6 support natively in the RE
build scripts, especially Ian Lepore, Warner Losh, Andrew Turner, Luiz
Otavio O Souza for their endless patience and input.

I would also especially like to thank Tim Kientzle for writing Crochet,
as well as all of the contributors to Crochet, for laying the groundwork
to make building FreeBSD arm images for FreeBSD releases possible.

Finally, I would like to thank the FreeBSD Foundation for sponsoring
this work.  Integrating these changes into the RE build scripts would
certainly not have been possible to do so quickly otherwise.

I am please to announce that the initial support to allow building arm
images without the use of any third-party (out-of-tree) tools is
complete, and following one final build test after a last-minute fix,
plan to merge the ^/projects/release-arm-redux branch to ^/head, which
will likely happen within the next few hours.  Will also make it easier
to provide support for boards that are not currently built with FreeBSD
releases and snapshots, provided a u-boot port exists in the Ports
Collection if the board requires u-boot.

An important note for people using the Wandboard (Solo, Dual, and Quad):
Since these boards all use the IMX6 kernel configuration, the WANDBOARD*
kernel configurations will be removed as part of the merge.  Those using
KERNCONF=3DWANDBOARD-{SOLO,DUAL,QUAD} for these images should update their
configuration files to use KERNCONF=3DIMX6.

An important note for people using the Zedboard:
A port of u-boot for this board does not currently exist in the Ports
Collection, and as a result, support for building the ZEDBOARD image has
been dropped.  If someone is already working on a port of this u-boot,
please let me know.  Otherwise, I will work on the port as soon as
possible.

Thanks.

Glen
Hat:	RE