Date:      Thu, 10 May 2001 00:18:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: XFree 4.0.3 + Radeon QD Crashes 4.3-STABLE

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Chris BeHanna wrote:

> [...problems getting Radeon QD to work with XFree 4.0.3_1 on
> 4.3-STABLE on an AMD 761-based motherboard with a T-bird and PC2100
> SDRAM...]
>
> [...Radeon and device dc0 are sharing IRQ 10...]

    An update:  I went into the BIOS and increased the AGP memory hole
from 32MB to 128MB.  Now running X no longer crashes the box, but I am
completely unable to get back to one of the virtual ttys via Alt-Fn or
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.  The latter gets me to a blank screen that, after
awhile, displays some vertical purple squiggles.  At least I'm able to
get in via ssh and launch X that way.

    The X server that runs has a giant white square where the "X"
cursor should be.  The Radeon, ostensibly a 64MB board, only shows
32MB probed (this is also true in Windows).  Is there anyone out there
who can tell me what to look for on the board to determine if my
vendor ripped me off by selling me a 32MB board at a 64MB price?  This
*is* a VIVO board (it came with all the extra VIVO bits, and has the
matching ports on the backplane), and all of the VIVO boards are 64MB,
aren't they?

    I built KDE 2.1.1 and it runs, but none of the pixmaps are
displayed, buttons are missing from dialog boxes, and my background
shows portions of images from the wallpaper I used when I last ran Win2K.

    I have IRQs 2/9 and 13 free, but I don't know how to wire a PCI
device to an IRQ.  Is it done just like it is for ISA devices?  Do I
have to disable PnP in my BIOS?

    Any help is appreciated, and as I find more pieces of the puzzle,
I'll report them.  Meanwhile, I rebooted to the character console to
avoid any potential damage to my video hardware by leaving it running
in that gefiggled state.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer                   (Remove "bogus" before responding.)