Date:      Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:11:19 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Rakesh Prajapati <rprajapa@sdf.lonestar.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cant remotely log in as ROOT

On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 06:00:52PM +0000, Rakesh Prajapati wrote:
> Hi ,
>

> I am unable to login as ROOT remotely from my work to my Home pc which is
> FreeBSD Release 4.2
>

> IS this a security feature or I must do some settings to change this
> behaviour.
>

> Thanks in Advance
> Rakesh

How are you trying to log in as root? Hopefully you are using ssh and
not telnet.

Even over ssh a better idea is to log in as yourself and then su as needed
for root privileges.

If, however, you really need root login, set PermitRootLogin yes in your
sshd_config file (usually in /usr/local/etc).

--devin