Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 07:20:59 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        joe@pavilion.net
Cc:        hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rejected by server: You do not have permission to access this server

> >   My cvsup log file is complaining:
> >   Connected to freefall.freebsd.org
> >   Rejected by server: You do not have permission to access this server
> >   Will retry at 02:24:21
> >
> > Try cvsup.freebsd.org instead of freefall.
>
> What's changed recently?

I recently started enforcing what has been the policy all along:
freefall's CVSup services are only for public FreeBSD mirror sites
and for committers.  The load caused by other CVSup users was
becoming too high.

> My configuration file is from the cvs-mirror port.

The cvsup-mirror port lets you specify which master server you want to
update from.  The default that it offers you, freefall, is correct
for public mirror sites but it is not appropriate for everybody.

It's easy to change your master server if you're using the cvsup-mirror
port.  Just edit "/usr/local/etc/cvsup/config.sh" and change these
two lines:

    host="freefall.freebsd.org"
    host_crypto="freefall.freebsd.org"

I'd suggest either "cvsup2.freebsd.org" or "cvsup.freebsd.org" if
you are in the USA.  Each is updated hourly from freefall.

John