Date:      Wed, 14 Apr 1999 00:13:14 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        chris@ogden.sd27.bc.ca (Chris)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Cable Internet

Chris wrote,
> Hi,
> 	I am setting up my freebsd machine to run on the internet. I have a cable
> modem and a static IP address. All I need to do is edit the /etc/rc.conf
> and put these lines in it
>
>  add ip.address.here
>  netmask 255.255.255.0
>  gateway gateways.ip.address
>
> Is this correct? Please let me know if not. Thanks

Not quite,

ifconfig_interface="inet ip.address.here netmask 255.255.255.0"
defaultrouter="gateways.ip.address"
network_interfaces="interface lo0"
hostname="myhost.mydomain.org"

Where 'interface' is the name of the interface, like ed0, de0, or fxp0,
etc., and the rest are self-explaintory.

You can also do the configuration in /stand/sysinstall and fill in the
blanks.