Date:      Mon, 2 Oct 2000 21:41:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Igor Khavin <igor@greyk.kiev.ua>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FTP passive mode fails

Igor Khavin writes:
> Hi!
>
> I'm rather newbie, so question probably is a silly one.
>
> I cannot run ls command on FTP servers because passive mode doesn't
> work, like this:
>
> bsd:~> ftp ftp.lucky.net
> Connected to ftp.lucky.net.
> Name (ftp.lucky.net:igor): anonymous
> 331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
> Password:
> 230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
> Remote system type is UNIX.
> Using binary mode to transfer files.
> ftp> ls
> 227 Entering Passive Mode (193,193,193,113,4,32)
> ftp: connect: Operation timed out
> ftp>
[...]
> What's wrong? What should I configure? FTP client, firewall or something
> else?
> From Win boxes I can get listings of FTP sites using any browser but not
> ftp command line.

That worked fine from here. That means it's not the server or the
firewall on there end. Which means it's your firewall or ftp client.

Do the any of your other systems do passive mode, or do you know? Did
you try it from ftp without doing passive mode? (Passive mode went
into widespread deployment as "outbound-only" firewalls became
popular, so if you're behind one of those, active mode may not work).

> I run 4.0-STABLE. A friend of mine who installed and preconfigured the
> box is unavailable now, so I have to struggle myself. I like the system
> but too many questions still :-)

Are you tracking -stable, or just running what he installed at the
time? It works fine on a 4.1-release system.

	<mike