Date:      Wed, 26 Feb 1997 11:45:07 -0700
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@consys.com>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        Vincent Poy <vince@mail.mcestate.com>, Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>, "Vnotchenko S.S." <sergey@extech.msk.su>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [H] Optimal computer for FreeBSD

> >> My guess is that it doesn't, since the cache is built into the CPU...
> >> :-)
>
> >	Actually, from what Rodney Grimes had told me, the cache built
> >into the CPU is the L1 (Level 1) cache while the L2 cache is the cache on
> >the motherboard, with Pipeline Burst Caching, it will give like the same
>
> Nope, you are completely wrong.  Go read the specs for yourself
> sometime.  You can find them at http://www.intel.com/.

Look guys, the only chip that has PB-SRAM is P5, and for *that* chip
the original comment is correct.  And Rodney is correct.  And Michael
is correct, for P6.

Sheesh!

Anyway, I don't think EDO gives you much for P6 either, and all the ASUS
motherboards I've seen in the last 6 months for P5 and P6 support ECC
if you have parity RAM, which is a big win for a server if it works.

Later,
Russell