Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2012 20:13:43 -0600
From:      "Joseph A. Nagy, Jr" <jnagyjr1978@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   cpu setting in kernel options file

Hi All,

I know this question has been asked before[0] so I just want
clarification. It was stated back then that HAMMER is the only cpu type
for amd64, but later on someone points to /usr/share/mk/bsd.cpu.mk where
I found:

. elif ${MACHINE_CPUARCH} == "amd64"
.  if ${CPUTYPE} == "prescott"

and, closer to my own specific processor:

.  elif ${CPUTYPE} == "opteron" || ${CPUTYPE} == "athlon64" || \
      ${CPUTYPE} == "k8"

from my /var/run/dmesg.boot I find:

CPU: AMD Sempron(tm) SI-42 (2099.25-MHz K8-class CPU)
   Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x200f31  Family = 11  Model = 3
Stepping = 1

Features=0x78bfbff<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,APIC,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MCA,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,CLFLUSH,MMX,FXSR,SSE,SSE2>
   Features2=0x2001<SSE3,CX16>
   AMD Features=0xea500800<SYSCALL,NX,MMX+,FFXSR,RDTSCP,LM,3DNow!+,3DNow!>
   AMD Features2=0x1319<LAHF,ExtAPIC,CR8,Prefetch,OSVW,SKINIT>

The really important bit being the first line. Could I put K8 and
gcc/clang be okay with it? Or should I leave the cpu line in my kernel
conf file alone?

[0]:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-amd64/2009-February/011914.html
--
Yours in Christ,

Joseph A Nagy Jr
"Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction
is stupid." -- Proverbs 12:1
Original content CopyFree (F) under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org