Date:      Mon, 16 Jul 2007 19:41:51 -0800
From:      Beech Rintoul <beech@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Hartleigh Burton <hburton@mraentertainment.com>
Subject:   Re: proftpd vs PAM authentication

On Monday 16 July 2007, Hartleigh Burton said:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am relatively new to FreeBSD and have what I hope is a simple
> question regarding proftpd and PAM authentication.
>
> I have just installed proftpd via the available port, and after
> installation a message was returned saying:
>
> ###
> Make sure you have the following lines in your PAM configuration
> file so that ProFTPd's PAM module can authenticate users correctly.
>
> ftpd auth    required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
> ftpd account required    pam_unix.so         try_first_pass
> ftpd session required    pam_permit.so
> ###
>
> After reading into this I am confused as to where exactly I should
> be entering this information. According to the proftpd README file,
> in FreeBSD it likes to get this information from /etc/pam.conf,
> whereas LINUX looks in /etc/pam.d/ftp, and what topped it off for
> me is the / etc/pam.d/ftpd file.
>
> Where is the best place to have this configuration information; is
> it required considering there is already lines in /etc/pam.d/ftp;
> if required should I overwrite /etc/pam.d/ftp or append to the
> beginning/ end of the file?
>
> I hope there is enough information here for someone to help. Any
> help provided is greatly appreciated in advance ;)

Actually that isn't required anymore and is a holdover from earlier
versions. The pam configuration for ftpd is in /etc/pam.d/ftpd and
already contains the required entries. I should probably just remove
it to avoid confusion.

Beech - Proftpd Maintainer

Beech Rintoul - FreeBSD Developer - beech@FreeBSD.org
/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  | FreeBSD Since 4.x
\ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail   | http://www.freebsd.org
 X  - NO Word docs in e-mail | Latest Release:
/ \  - http://www.FreeBSD.org/releases/6.2R/announce.html