Date:      Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:19:47 +0000
From:      Jez Hancock <jez.hancock@munk.nu>
To:        FreeBSD ISP List <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: per-user groups

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 12:56:54AM -0800, Marcus Reid wrote:
> Another way to do almost the same thing is to have the users home
> directory perms set to rwxr-x--x. Apache can get to the users public_html
> directory, and noone can get a directory listing of another persons home
> directory. Users still have to make sure that files they don't want to
> be world readable aren't world readable, but it's a solution that suits
> my tastes a little better.
This is how I had my system setup until a few days ago, the nice thing about
it being if one user in a shell wants to let another user look at a file they
can just say 'have a look at /home/myhome/file' and providing the perms on
'file' are right, the other user can still see the file even though they
can't actually run a listing on the directory /home/myhome.

Obviously though this runs the risk of letting user's guess the location of
important files in a shell (which was why I moved away from this setup) - say by
attempting to read commonly used names for config files, ie:

'cat /home/another/web/include/config.php'

Regarding what you say about user's being able to use the fact the 'www' user is
in all user groups to write malicious scripts to read / traverse directories outside
their own home dir - I know you can setup PHP to stop this (using the open_basedir
and safe_mode php.ini settings for example), but how do you do similar for cgis?

Incidentally I'm having hassles getting that setup I suggested to work, it's totally
baffling.  I'm sticking with the method you mention Marcus for now ;)

Regards,

Jez