Date:      Tue, 23 Mar 1999 19:14:37 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stefan.bethke@hanse.de>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd fails for -interface <if>

Finally, I found the solution to a nagging problem:

For some interfaces, I wasn't able to run natd -interface if0.  It started
OK, but as the first packet arrived, it said
        natd: Unknown interface name isp5.  (Undefined error: 0)

The problem is in SetAliasAddressFromIfName(), where for the SIOCGIFCONF, =
buffer for only 32 entries is allocated:
        struct ifreq            buf[32];

While space for 32 addresses will suffice for a home setup with only two =
or
three interfaces and a limited number of addresses, I have three machines
with multiple ISDN connections which have up to 42 (sic!) interface
addresses assigned.

I would suggest to up this to at least 128 entries.

Alternatively, a method to dynamically size the buffer should be
implemented.=B4 If this is considered to be needed, I'll implement it.

Thanks,
Stefan

--
M=FChlendamm 12           |  Voice +49-40-256848, +49-177-3504009
D-22089 Hamburg         |  e-mail: stefan.bethke@hanse.de