Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 12:33:08 -0600
From:      nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
To:        "S DAVID PULLARA" <davidp@otter.cs.yorku.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD on the IBM ThinkPAD?

> Hi there.
> One of the professors here at York U. is buying a notebook.  He wants to
> put unix on it, preferably a BSD unix.
>
> One of his options is the IBM ThinkPad.  Does FreeBSD install/run on
> notebooks, particularly the Thinkpad series?

FreeBSD does run on many notebooks.  *HOWEVER*, I have not had the best
of luck running FreeBSD on my 750C using pre-2.0.5 sources.  Basically,
I had to hack the bootblocks to work with the 2.88MB floppy, and I had
to hack on the bootblock console probe code to remove some of serial
checking code.

Once I got past that point, it would hang before mounting the floppy,
but since my box has only 4MB it *may* have been a problem with too
little memory.  Unfortunately, I don't have easy access to more memory
to see if it's a memory problem.  When the 2.0.5 CD gets here I'm going
to try again with this box, although I suspect I'll still have to beat
on the bootblocks a little bit.  Also, I *might* have to switch to pcvt
since the stock console driver doesn't support 'scancode 2' mode or
whatever it's called with IBM just to be different.

We ordered a 755CX (Pentium w/800x600 screen), but it was put on hold
for a month or so.  So, I'm now getting NEC Versa early next week which
is devoted to doing demonstrations on the road.  We're going to be
running SCO, Dos/Win, and FreeBSD because we have software which
requires all three, and I don't suspect I'll have any problems
installing FreeBSD on it.

If I were to buy a notebook today I'd definitely go with a 800x600
screen if you plan on running FreeBSD on it.  640x480 is a *pain* to use
because of the lack of screen space.  I *really* like the ruggedness of
the IBM boxes (much better than the NEC), but IBM does things a bit
differently than anyone else.  I've heard really good things about the
DEC Hinote (sp?) series, although I don't know if they have a version
with the enhanced screen yet.

Nate