Date:      Mon, 21 Jan 2008 09:46:57 -0700
From:      "Kirk Davis" <kirk.davis@epsb.ca>
To:        "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>, <freebsd-usb@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: BlackBerry (Re: using libusb)

=20

[mailto:owner-freebsd-usb@freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Mikhail T.

>=EF=EE=ED=E5=E4=B3=EB=EE=EA 14 =F1=B3=F7=E5=ED=FC 2008, Kirk Davis, =
=C2=E8 =ED=E0=EF=E8=F1=E0=EB=E8:
> =3D =A0 I have ported the uberry driver from OpenBSD over to FreeBSD. =
=A0I have=20
> =3D done a lot of changed and support for the new devices and am just
> =3D working on some final changed before submitting it. =A0I abandoned =
the
> =3D linux uberry driver as I didn't like the inteaction with libusb =
and
> =3D running it from userspace.

     I have the uberry(4) driver working now with all the blackberry =
devices but I'm still having some trouble getting the driver to mount =
the storage card in the new devices.  Right now the driver will detect =
the devices and turn on the USB power so it charges the device (the =
Linux uberry drives will not work with the 8830 and higher devices yet) =
but I can't get it to attach another interface to the umass device for =
mounting.

>Thanks, Kirk. Without knowing the details of your work, I can only =
emphasise once again, the API-compatibility with (the Linuxish) libusb =
is an absolute requirement.

>I'm sure, the API can be argued to be lacking in some respect or =
another. I'd also accept the validity of arguments for making =
kernel-drivers for various devices (such as uberry) instead of exposing =
them as ugen and >letting the user-space software deal with them.

>However, without the libusb API-compatibility AND the =
sysctl-compatibility for Linuxulator we will not be able to compile/run =
the applications written for Linux (Solaris?).

      I agree with you here, the job of porting software would be a lot =
easier if libusb where more compatible.  I don't think it is a conscious =
effort on anyone's part to make it different, it is just a port of an =
older Linux version that does not yet have all the newer features. =20

>Some time ago BSD decided to go its own way with video instead of =
adopting the video4linux framework. I don't know the arguments leading =
that decision, but I'm quite certain, they were and remain sound... =
Unfortunately, it also meant incompatibility with Linux-targeted apps, =
and we should not repeat the same mistake with USB.

     The Linux way is not always the best way IMHO.  A lot of the =
features and libraries in Linux have grown out of necessity rather that =
good planning. It has worked well for them but I think FreeBSD has =
always done a better job of planning and "Doing it the right way".   =
Yes, I think we should be compatable where possable but not just because =
Linux does it this way.

     I have run into the V4L problem to when porting things over from =
Linux.  It would be great if some one would write V4L on FreeBSD but I'm =
not willing to tackle it so I'll have to wait until someone does.

---- Kirk=20