Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 1995 10:09:07 +0800 (WST)
From:      Terry Dwyer <tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au>
To:        John Fieber <jfieber@grendel.csc.smith.edu>
Cc:        Randy Levensalor <rlevensa@vt.edu>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help??

On Sun, 27 Aug 1995, John Fieber wrote:

> Randy Levensalor writes:
> > from your ftp site.  My problem is that it will not find my hard drive.  It
> > is a segate baracuda wide scsi 2 located at ID #15.  What should I do??
>
> What sort of SCSI controller do you have?  Is your CD drive SCSI?  If
> so, does it find that?
>
> -john

Tell us a little more about your hardware.  Has this drive ever
worked in this box before?

I had similar problems when i upgraded my 486 to a Pentium.  I have a 2Gb
Barracuda and I originally got a no-name NCR controller.  The drive was
seen by the controller but at boot time the partition table could not be
read.  I eventually swapped the NCR for an Adaptec 2940 and all is well.

There has been some discussion a while ago on problems with specific
versions of code on some hard drives and the way these drives (don't)
interact with some SCSI controllers.  The version of code on my Barracuda
is 0015, (marked on the label), and I seem to remember that was a version
with a problem.  It was for me anyway.

I suggest you try the mail archives.

   _-_|\    Terry Dwyer 	  E-Mail: tdwyer@netbsd08.dn.itg.telecom.com.au
  /     \   System Administrator  Phone: +61 9 491 5161     Fax: +61 9 221 2631
  *_.^\_/   Telecom Australia     Telstra Corporation       MIME capable mailer
       v    Perth  WA                 ( I do not speak for Telstra or Telecom )