Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2017 02:38:38 +0800
From:      blubee blubeeme <gurenchan@gmail.com>
To:        Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Cc:        =?UTF-8?Q?Fernando_Herrero_Carr=C3=B3n?= <elferdo@gmail.com>,  "freebsd-x11@freebsd.org" <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: End of year Xorg status rant

This is a pretty interesting discussion indeed.

I sometimes wonder how feasible it will be to maintain those linuxulator
things. One reason why I came to FreeBSD was the way linux is headed.
Fedora is almost useless if you want to avoid gnome and pulseaudio

opensuse has runtime kernel patching but they didn't allow me to setup the
machine w/o installing a DM, I just wanted to login and manually startx and
they said I had to use some crazy config nonsense because "startx is
dangerous"

FreeBSD and linux seem to be going further and further apart, will it be
more work to port the linux stuff to FreeBSD instead of running the linux
stuff, is it going to turn into WINE? Is the linuxilator something that's
maintainable/ expandable in the long term or will the complexity come to a
point where it's more trouble than it's worth? I don't know the answer to
that question but it's worth asking here in the public.

I remember seeing a video where the guy said BSD didnt really have a
direction developers just sorta work on what they want but I don't think
this is totally true, the core team must have some direction they are
pushing BSD, I would be interesting to hear their vision of BSD in 5 years.

I agree that the FreeBSD graphics wiki is rough, I look at it and it's so
outdated and then there's no real help of where to go. You come on here and
ask and basically get told to kick rocks if you are even graced with a
response.

I can understand taking inspiration from linux, I think wayland could be
cool but if we do like it, take the idea and make it BSD do we have to wait
for them to create it and then we follow? Enough about that for now.

On to the graphics card work, I have programed shaders and 3d things with
opengl before but I really don't know or fully understand the intersection
between the kernel and the hardware devices, especially since they are
closed sorce; I will have to go learn that and see how to improve that
situation on FreeBSD.

The next steps that I can think of is trying to find some Nvidia
evangelists and see if they are interested in working with FreeBSD and
having their devices have better support.

 ========== I could use help here if anyone one this list is one or know
anyone in nvidia, ping them or get me in touch with them plz ==========

Best,
Owen