Date:      Sat, 30 Jan 2021 10:43:42 -0700
From:      Gary Aitken <freebsd@dreamchaser.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        RW <rwmaillists@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: make config-recursive for an individual port

On 1/30/21 10:14 AM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Jan 2021 17:08:28 +0000
> RW via freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org> wrote:
>
>> Because that's what the "-recursive" part means - configure the current
>> port and anything it depends on. When you "make install" it will build
>> the dependencies that aren't already installed.

I understand the -recursive will configure dependent ports.  What I don't
understand is why it would configure dependent ports which are already
installed, since they will not be reinstalled.  It makes no sense to
configure them without first uninstalling them.  I know the process of
configuring "hangs around" even if you uninstall a port, but it seems
strange to have a behavior inconsistent with the normal order for building
things.  It is presuming install - configure - deinstall - build - install
is a reasonable sequence of operations, where a more reasonable one would
be install - deinstall - configure - build - install.

> 	It helps minimise building to use make missing to get a list of
> dependencies and install those with pkg install -A.

Thanks.

Gary